|40 minutes - 1 hour
|Book a Treatment|
What is Reflexology?
Reflexology is a form of complementary medicine and involves a method of treatment using massage to reflex areas found in the feet and the hands. Most commonly, the feet are used as the areas to be treated.
In the feet, there are reflex areas corresponding to all the parts of the body and these areas are arranged in such a way as to form a map of the body in the feet with the right foot corresponding to the right side of the body and the left foot corresponding to the left side of the body. By having the whole body represented in the feet, the method offers a means of treating the whole body and of treating the body as a whole. This latter point is an important factor of a natural therapy and allows not only symptoms to be treated but also the causes of symptoms.
What happens during a treatment?
- A treatment lasts between 40 minutes and 1 hour. During the first visit, a full consultation including medical and lifestyle case history is taken. The client is seated on a comfortable reclining chair or lying if they wish, and asked to remove their shoes and socks. The treatment starts with gentle foot cleansing which is followed by a relaxing massage sequence to relax the client and guide the therapist to areas which require attention.
- The treatment relaxes and stimulates the body’s natural healing process and most clients find it an enjoyable and calming experience. However, each one of us is unique and responds to a treatment in a different way so possible after treatment response and aftercare advice is given before treatment starts.
Benefits of Reflexology
Reflexology may be beneficial for many condition, and most would agree it is an enjoyable, relaxing treatment. However is does not claim to be the solution for all health related conditions. Disorders which have had successful outcomes include migraine, sinus problems, hormone imbalances, breathing disorders, digestive problems, circulatory problems, back problems, lymphatic drainage, tension and stress.
The Principles of Reflexology
- Stimulation of reflex areas by pressure has an effect on the relevant organs of the body.
- Natural healing ability of the body is then triggered.
- Pain is reduced by the release of endorphins, the bodies natural pain relievers.
- Stress and tension symptoms are removed.
- Blood circulation and nerve impulse function improved.
- Imbalances are corrected and symptoms of illness improved.
Therapists Offering Traditional Reflexology
Sarah Roberts - BSc (Hons) Complementary Therapies for Healthcare